Friday, August 04, 2017

#Furkid Friday: Lilie The #Westie's First Walkies Experiences (FD & LBE)

Hi everyone! This is Lilie the Westie.

I've now been allowed to go walkies for a couple of months, but this is the first chance I'm getting to tell you about it.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to make of the walkies thing at first. Quite frankly, my first reaction upon finding myself on the ground outside was to stare around in utter terror at the sheer size of the world, followed by a frantic attempt to dig my way back through the door to get inside again. I mean, I'm only a small dog, and it really is a very big world! But this walkies thing is growing on me, and I'm learning to love going places with the humans.

The first time we went, the humans helped me get used to it by carrying me by the road, and taking me to some place called "the park" where it was quieter, and where we could alternate between resting a while on benches and exploring the world. Here are lots of photos taken while we were there:


I don't know who the person on the bench with me and the Mummy human is in one of the photos, but she said I was cute, so I liked her. Lots of people said I was cute... I loved when they did that!

Anyway, later on we went to the place called "the beach" that I'd been staring at out of our windows. I loved how the breeze felt in my fur, but was still a bit nervous of the whole being outside thing, so we sat down for a snack and to watch the other people and dogs on the beach for a while first. I was a bit upset at first, because the Mummy human wouldn't share what she was eating - it was something called a "Snickers" and apparently dogs aren't allowed it - but felt better when I learned she'd brought some of my doggy treats for me to have. Anyway, that time to just watch everyone else really helped me, and by the time we were ready to walk a while, I was actually eager to do so. Here are some photos:


Oh, and... In case you're wondering... Yes, I did get something to drink too. I needed it with how hot it was out there, so was glad the Mummy human remembered to pack me some water. Actually, she's really good about making sure I have water every time we go out - she has a backpack that has all kinds of things in it I might need, which she takes with us when we go walkies - especially on a sunny day. Shame she's not so good about remembering a drink for herself, but that's another story.

Anyway, even though it was hot, we didn't go down to see the water that time, because there were lots of people and other dogs there. I was a bit nervous of there being so many people and dogs about - especially since some of them were really big dogs - and it would have been tough for the Mummy human to take me down there without getting in everyone's way. So we saved that for another time. Here are a couple of videos of when we did that though:













I wasn't sure what to think of the ocean. On the one hand, the idea of playing with the water seemed fun. On the other hand, it was really loud, and the water kept trying to come and get me. I loved playing in the stones on the beach though...


We've also done something the humans call "popping to the shop" several times. Actually, we do that most days. I wasn't sure about it at first, since it means the Mummy human and I spend a lot of time standing around outside buildings. But lots of people go by while we're there, most of them comment on how cute I am, and some of them even stop to pet me, so I guess it's not so bad. The version called "going to town" is better though. It means another ride in one of those taxi things where I watch the world go by outside the window while feeling the breeze in my fur, and then we go for lunch at a place where we can sit outside together while we eat. Here's a photo of me taken the first time we were at the outside food place:


What's even more fun though is the place called "petstore" where there are loads and loads of toys and treats and things, not to mention everyone there always wants to be my friend and tell me how cute I am, which is great! I'm actually allowed to go inside the petstore place, which is another reason I like it. The times we've been, I was even allowed to pick something to take home with me. Of course, I wanted to take it all with me, but the humans said I couldn't. I don't understand why, but there are lots of things I don't understand when it comes to the rules humans insist on trying to make me obey. Humans really do seem to have a lot of rules... What's up with that?

Anyway, as I said, I wasn't sure how I felt about this walkies thing at first, but I've learned to love it, I'm learning not to be so afraid of the big world that's waiting out there for me to get up the courage to explore it, and am even starting to become excited about all the things just waiting out there for me to discover them.

Although, I'm still a bit hesitant about going out for walkies when the water is falling from the sky - which the humans say is called "rain" - even though I do like water. Look, I only like it on my terms, OK? Anyway, I have this fancy coat to wear when I go out on those days when water is falling from the sky, or it looks like it will any moment, which makes going out on those days not as bad. Here's a photo of the Mummy human putting it on me for the first time:


I think I look good in the coat, so I like to show it to people. Including the guys at the pizza place downstairs...


OK. OK. I admit it... You twisted my paw! I was kind of hoping showing them how good I looked would get me some pizza. Hey, can't blame a pup for trying, can you?

Lots of licks,
Lilie

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

A really adorable post! And the photo I loved most was the one at the beach where Lilie's head is tilted back toward yours and she's smiling! Big! She looks so happy and I have a really big feeling you were happy too!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Glad you enjoyed the post.

Yes, we were all enjoying being out. Her head is tilted like that because she was enjoying the feel of the breeze in her fur.

Rita said...

The waves are so huge and she's so little--can't blame her for being afraid. I can see why people stop to pet her--she's so stinkin' cute!!! I love the pictures you're getting on your new camera and the videos, too. She is just a little doll! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Glad you're enjoying the photos and videos. Yeah, she is super cute... Makes it easier to forgive her when she causes chaos. ;)

Danielle L Zecher said...

Lilie, you look adorable in your pink rain coat! Don't worry, humans can be trained to keep you out of the rain. My girl Emma had us very well trained not to drag her out in the rain.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Thanks for the compliments! Unfortunately, since we don't have a decent yard, I sometimes have to allow the humans to take me out in the rain. That's why they got me the coat: To make it a bit nicer for me than it might otherwise be. I'm working on training them to try and get the walkies in between showers whenever possible though, and am making it clear that I'm much more enthusiastic about long walkies on days when that rain stuff isn't falling from the sky.

Lots of licks,
Lilie

Intense Guy said...

You sure are CUTE!!!!

Smiles. I loved all the photos and the videos of the cutest little westie ever!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks for the compliments... Glad you enjoyed the photos and videos.

Lots of licks,
Lilie