Sunday, August 06, 2017

Tori's July 2017 #Book #Reviews (LBE)

It's time to take a look at what I read in July.

As with the previous posts like this one, if you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question.

Don't forget: the format I've reviewed may not be the format I read. Also, please remember that I read across multiple genres and age ranges, so you should always check if a book is suitable for the intended reader, especially when children are involved. Sometimes reading the book's description on its Goodreads page will be enough for this, but other times you may need to check elsewhere to figure out the genre and/or recommended reading level.

OK... On to the reviews!

Rain GladeRain Glade by John H. Carroll
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I have loved everything I have read by this author, and this book is no exception.

Cloudswept (Wyvern Series Book 3)Cloudswept by John H. Carroll
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
An exciting and entertaining read, which is a fantastic and fun addition to the series.

The Girl Who Swam to AtlantisThe Girl Who Swam to Atlantis by Elle Thornton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
An interesting book, which will really make you think.

Talwar and Khanda - Assassins in LoveTalwar and Khanda - Assassins in Love by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is another enjoyable read from this author, with a great cast of characters, and an interesting plot.

Saif's StorySaif's Story by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Another excellent read by this author, which once again has an interesting plot and contains a great cast of characters. As a blind person myself, I was especially impressed with the blind character in the book, and the way he was portrayed.

Star Minds Third Generation SnippetsStar Minds Third Generation Snippets by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is an excellent addition to the Star Minds universe, and an enjoyable read in its own right.

The Traveler in Black and White (Princelings of the East, #4)The Traveler in Black and White by Jemima Pett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is an enjoyable read, with a lovable cast of characters and a creative plot.

The Talent Seekers (Princelings of the East, #5)The Talent Seekers by Jemima Pett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I think this book is my favourite of the series. It is so far, anyhow. I absolutely love Humphrey as a character! The only way I could have enjoyed this book more is if the author had used guinea pig terms instead of people terms for the characters - "paw" instead of "hand" for example - which is something I believe I mentioned when reviewing some of the earlier books in the series. But I suppose that's a personal preference thing, and am not going to let it influence my rating, since I loved everything else about the book.

Bravo Victor (The Princelings of the East, #6)Bravo Victor by Jemima Pett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
An interesting story, but far from being my favourite of the series. I love the characters - especially knowing they're based on real guinea pigs - and have enjoyed the books in the series so far, but just didn't feel this one was as good. I'm not sure why. Perhaps Victor's confusion was rubbing off on me? I felt like he spent an awful lot of time questioning what point he was at in the personal timeline of certain characters, and unsure what to say or do, and it sometimes made it difficult for me to be completely clear on things myself.

Willoughby the Narrator (Princelings of the East, #7)Willoughby the Narrator by Jemima Pett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I loved hearing Willoughby's whole story, and thought the addition of some of his tales when he's telling them was a nice touch.

ErnieErnie by James Sutherland
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I loved this story! Not only is it well-written, but it's also cute and entertaining, and you just can't help but adore Ernie.

The Further Adventures of Roger the FrogThe Further Adventures of Roger the Frog by James Sutherland
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was a fun and entertaining read; I loved reading more about Roger the frog's misadventures.

Tarmachan (Gathin Chronicles Book 1)Tarmachan by Geoffrey Wakeling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was an exciting and action-packed read, with an interesting plot, a wonderful cast of characters, and some fantastic worldbuilding. I can't wait until the next book in this series!

The Twisted Galaxy (Galaxy Series #2)The Twisted Galaxy by Michael L. Lewis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Having read the previous book in this series, I was eager to read this one. It turned out to be an enjoyable read, with an interesting and exciting plot, as well as a great cast of characters. The way the story from Earth 1 that was going on at the same time as that on Earth 2 was told in flashbacks was a little confusing at first, but I got used to it after a while. Other than the flashbacks thing, I loved this book, and would recommend it to those who like their science fiction to include a good dose of science, rather than just consisting of alien invasions and space battles.

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)Storm Front by Jim Butcher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
An excellent and exciting start to the series.

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
An excellent continuation of the series, which has an action-packed and interesting plot.

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I don't even know where to start with this one. It had an action packed and exciting plot, which grabbed my attention from the start and held it well until the end, as well as a fantastic cast of characters. Insured, this is an excellent addition to the series, and a great read in general.

The Experimental Notebook of C. S. BoyackThe Experimental Notebook of C. S. Boyack by C.S. Boyack
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is an enjoyable - sometimes creepy or a little scary - collection of short stories. All I can say is: I think the experiments were a success.

The Experimental Notebook of C. S. Boyack IIThe Experimental Notebook of C. S. Boyack II by C.S. Boyack
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Another collection of successful writing experiments, which were enjoyable - if sometimes a little creepy or scary - to read.

The Enhanced LeagueThe Enhanced League by C.S. Boyack
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I knew I wouldn't enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed the other short stories I recently read by this author, because I'm not a baseball fan. But I decided to give it a read anyway. As it turned out, the author's skill with weaving a good tale, combined with an interesting cast of characters, meant I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. If you're a baseball fan, you'll love this book. If you're not, there's an excellent chance you'll still really enjoy it.

Amputeddy Makes A ChoiceAmputeddy Makes A Choice by Kate Policani
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a beautifully written story, in which one little amputeddy learns an important lesson about how disabilities shouldn't stop you at least trying to do things for yourself.

MerminiaMerminia by Emm Cole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book contains an interesting plot and some wonderful world building. The ending was too sudden for my liking though.

Keeping Merminia (Merminia, #2)Keeping Merminia by Emm Cole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I thought the descriptions were better in the first book, though the insight we get in to the main characters thoughts due to the change to first person viewpoint goes some way towards compensating for that. I also felt the ending should have included the answer to the question of a certain character's fate, which I felt was left unanswered. Other than those things, however, I thought this book was a great read.

2 comments:

Danielle L Zecher said...

It looks like you had a very good month reading month! You read a lot, and seemed to enjoy them. I've been struggling through the same book for over a week now.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Yes, I had a very good reading month in July. August isn't looking as productive as far as reading goes so far though. I'm still working on the book I started as we were heading in to August (I started it on July 31st). It is a long one - it's part of an epic fantasy series - but I still would have usually finished it by now. Other things are keeping me busy though, so my reading time is more limited than usual.